i got a chance to finish book 5 about a or two ago. before i start ranting and raving about that book, i have to make a warning for those out there that this post might be spoiler for you. i'll keep the spoiler to a minimum but i can't guarantee that. so if you don't wanna read the spoiler part, don't highlight the part below. you've been given fair warning.
my thoughts on it? initial reaction after finishing it was... i wanna kill j.k. rowling XD yeah. she "killed" my most favorite hp character. damn her. *stab stab* anyway, personally, i found it a little bit disappointing compared to the other books in the series. the first part of the book really dragged on. then it just picked up during the last 5 or 6 chapters. then it went downhill again at dumbledore's explanation. compared to the other books, it seems like it lacks the thrill.
survey below, got it from nancy.
1. Describe in five words or less how you feel about Order of the Phoenix. (your initial reaction)
still love the third
2. What are your feelings on Harry's personality? Do you think he is overly cynical, depressed, etc. . . .?
clearly a different harry potter. an angsty one XD always the hot-tempered kid, just about angry with everything in the world.
3. Do you think Order of the Phoenix is appropriate for children 13 and younger? Why or why not?
13 and younger? maybe. i think starting on the fourth book, parental discretion is adviced for children below 13. it's not a light reading. pretty dark and gloomy. and definitely angsty. but then again, that's my standards.
4. List your five most hated characters (either in Book 5 or the whole series, non-humans can be included).
- Dolores Umbridge (that fucking shitnitz. die you bitch! die!)
- Wormtail/Peter Pettigrew (damn traitorous bastard. because of you, harry doesn't have a mom or dad. and because of you sirius spent his time in jail.)
- Bellatrix Lestrange (damn bitch killed him.)
- Uncle Vernon (he's damn funny when he's spitting angry.)
- Dementors (they're just damn scary. 'nuff said.)
i was so tempted to add harry and dumbledore. but then i don't really hate them per se. it's just that they went down on my favorites list.
5. Percy turned away from his family. Will he come crawling back to them now or . . .?
i think he's sorta like cornelius fudge. wouldn't wanna admit to something that's just right under his nose. even if he knows that he's the wrong one, he'll still try to wiggle out of it. so technically, crawling back to them? not really. but loosening up a bit is more likely.
6. What did you think of the new DADA's punishment? Why didn't Harry nor Lee complain?
one word. OUCH. it's like getting a tatoo though this time with the needle pricking the same spot over and over and over again... (though i don't know what getting a tatoo feels like XD) anyway, i think harry and lee kept their mouth shut just because they were hoping not to get more of the same punishment, though in harry's case, it didn't work out coz he's been getting detentions almost every week. or it maybe because of pride. they're guys. wouldn't want to see them crying over detention, now would they.
7. What do you think of James and Lily now?
james became more human to my eyes. at least i know that he's not the perfect person that everyone was claiming him to be. though i kinda find his arrogance cute... just to impress lily. XD as for lily, still haven't formed a concrete opinion on her yet. i'd love to know how she changed james, which i hope will be shown in book 6.
8. Has your opinion (which is probably not too good) of Petunia Dursley changed? If yes, how so?
no. not really.
9. What's the meaning of Snape's nickname in your opinion?
the nickname snivellus? here. to complain or whine tearfully. though i don't think that he's someone who'll really whine. hmmmm.. so why name him snivellus?
10. What do you think of the character death? Do you think s/he will return? The "death" of this person was vague and not very final; however, remember that JKR said she cried over this character's death.
one of the reasons why i wanna kill rowling was not actually because she killed my most favorite character but because she could have killed him in a better way than what actually happened. if the death of this character is really true, then i'm really disappointed with rowling. she could have done his death with flair. something that's really worth remembering. something heroic. but, no... he has to die that way. anyway, even if rowling said that she cried with this character's death, i don't think that he's really dead (but hey.. i'm not the author so don't kill me. my fanfic muse is just working right now XD). there's no finallity to it. uhmmm.. yah.. he'll be back. (wonders if she's making false hopes for herself)
11. Do you think fanfiction will be hurt by Book 5? Do you see any new pairings arising? Do you see any huge ships falling apart?
uhmmm.. even if there are numerous hp fanfics out there, haven't tried them. after reading book five, as of now, i think i still won't be reading fanfics. maybe after all the books are released, that's when i'll be reading them. until then i dunno what to answer here.
12. What was your favourite chapter in Order of the Phoenix? Why?
snape's worst memory... or something like that. seeing the four guys in their teens. *swoons over sirius* teeheehee. anyway, part of the reason why i like this chapter i answered in number 7. james' more human than i thought. XD
13. Talk about Fred and George's "flight."
bloody wicked. i have always loved the twins. never bothered by rules. always up to mischief. do whatever they wanna do. this time i'm loving them even more. take that umbridge!
14. Give some thoughts on Ron.
darn he's sooo cute when it comes to ginny. tee hee hee. reminds me too much of touya. wouldn't want someone to get close to his little sister. and good thing he let gryffindor win the quidditch cup. XP weasley is our king. weasley is our king. he didn't let the quaffle in.
15. What did you think of Dumbledore's explanation?
.... i actually didn't like this part of the book. but i won't comment on it until i get a chance to reread the whole book again. (that is if i get a chance to read it. it's with my friend and i dunno when i can get it back.)
16. Do you feel satisfied by this book?
not really. at least it satisfied my craving for something new from rowling. but no, as of now, i won't go on and rave about it.
17. How anxious are you now for Book 6?
though 5 is not the best book for me, i'm still looking forward to book 6, which i hope will be released next year?! *crosses fingers* please please please
sorry if that was a little bit hard to read. i don't want anyone coming to me complaining about me spoiling the book for them. i know how frustrating it is since i personally experienced it. so there.
i've been out of touch lately. *wonders what happened to some peeps* haven't been to most of my board hangouts. there's something wrong with our office's connection with irc and so now i can't dl any naruto eps and some manga stuff. at least toriyama still hasn't released ep 36 i think. anyway... even my email i haven't been checking it that religiously as well. so sorry to guys who's trying to contact me.
which reminds me, i'll be emailing you kiyo hopefully a little bit later. if not, the latest on monday. promise.
and mercedes is back. sorry for the delayed weebee.
condolences goes out to saki. i know how you feel since i lost my biological dad when i was in grade 6. and the saddest thing about it is that i wasn't even able to say goodbye to him since he was in the province. we haven't talked much since we live apart but i love him dearly.
i'm thinking of changing the layout. though i love this one for it's simplicity, takuto and meroko has been here for a loooong time. now, the only problem i have is that i don't know who or what pic to use. anyone wanna see someone here? i'm open to suggestions.