Breaking Dawn, the fourth in the Twilight series. I waited for this book for almost a year. I stayed far away as possible from spoilers and leaks all those times. And after losing two days reading over it, though I can't say that I hate it, like half of the fandom does, I can't also say that I love it, like the other half of the fandom does. It certainly didn't live to my expectations and I can pinpoint some stuff that I really hate. But then there are still a few stuff I like about it.
Spoilery if you haven't finished reading it yet. Skip to the last paragraph if you don't want to be spoiled.
The book's divided into three parts, with the first and third part being in Bella's POV while the second part being Jacob's. It actually started good. I liked the fact that she made Jacob come back in the wedding. But then it got boring with Meyer's repetitive description of the details. We already know that Bella sees Edward's as someone perfect and dazzling. It was established in the first book, so we really didn't need to know it again. And since I know that Meyer's a Mormon, I wasn't really expecting any smut and explicit sex scenes in it, like what some people in the fandom is waiting for. That's where my romance novels are there for, anyway.
But then the ending of the first part was like something that came out of nowhere. A baby? Between a human and a vampire? Yeah, there were signs that gave it away. Bella's excessive appetite, sleeping the day away and getting queasy stomach. But I was in denial and hoping that Meyer wouldn't give us that. But then after Meyer confirmed it, I instantly knew that this is her answer and wrap-up to Jacob's story. Giving him someone of Bella's to imprint on. So it wasn't really a surprise that book two ended that way. I absolutely love Jacob, even sometimes more than Edward, so I have mixed feelings on this. It's great that he found someone he'll imprint on. But then, I was also thinking that maybe it isn't necessary for him to find someone to imprint on. The love triangle that was one of Bella's main problem in New Moon and Eclipse were just squashed. And then there are times that I'm thinking why with someone that is from Bella. Especially why someone with a stupid sounding name! Renesmee?! Can't Meyer think of a better name than that? Renesmee Carlie? That's the main reason why I hated Bella and Edward's offspring. Stupid. Sounding. Name. Though the nickname isn't any better... Nessie.
So now, everyone's happy. Edward got his wanted marriage with Bella. Jacob imprinted on Bella's baby. Bella became a vampire because birthing the-kid-that-shouldn't-be-named (TKTSBN) made her lost a lot of blood. But that's not the end of the story since Meyer still have to discuss the Volturi. And like the first book, the third book dragged on. Yeah, Bella's a vampire with super powers. Cheesy part is her thought that being the one that love Edward the most in the whole world is her super power. *roll eyes* She could control her thirst for human blood because, as the Cullens say, she was conditioned to it. Blah blah blah. More about Bella being a great newborn. And then the news that they were gonna be visited by the whole Volturi: Aro and his brothers, their wives, and all the guardians which includes Jane, Alec and Demitri. So in turn the Cullens call on other vampires to bear witness that TKTSBN isn't really a vampire. Some of these vampires have powers too. And when I was reading this part, I felt that I was reading X-Men comics. I was waiting for Magneto or Professor Xavier to show up. That looks like a great build-up to a great battle!
But, personally, here's the worst part of the book. Unlike an X-Men comic or the movie X-Men: The Last Stand, the book doesn't end with an epic battle which it was gearing you up for. I mean, Meyer introduces all these other characters. She wrote about them practicing combat. She wrote more about Bella honing her real vampire super power which is actually acting as a shield. She even made Alice leave. (Though it wasn't really a surprise that Alice didn't leave them and instead has something planned. It is Alice anyway! And Alice is made of awesome!) She made Bella think up a backup plan of new papers for Jacob Wolfe and Vanessa Wolfe (which is seriously a name way better than Renesmee!). After doing all that and getting you pumped up for a great battle, all of a sudden, Meyer pulls the rug right out of your feet and made that battle go ka-poof! WTF, Meyer! That's so freaking lame! I want a battle between the Cullens and the Volturi. Just because you want your perfect Bella to save the day doesn't mean that you should skip out on the battle. You seriously could have removed a few chapters if the page count was the problem. And then let them have it! I was seriously looking at the page numbers while I was waiting for it, counting down and thinking if it was just a short battle. But nooooo! Zip. Nada. Zilch. Nothing. Aro and company just left after Alice arrived. I want my battle so bad. *cry moar*
Basically, I think those are the main reasons why I didn't like this book that much. And the reason why I like it? Even though I really love Edward, it was Jacob that saved the book for me. And book two. Of the three books, book two was the most interesting of them. And don't forget Jacob and Rosalie's banters. I love their interaction in the whole book.
So, will I recommend it to others? I don't know. I'm thinking maybe if you really really absolutely ship Edward and Bella AND you also love Bella the best, I'm thinking you might like this book. If you don't care much for Bella or if you don't want a perfect happily ever after ending for her, I suggest you stay away and be happy with Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse.
Belated Happy New Year to my beloved and dear flist!
Yeah, you're seeing me. I'm posting! I'm coming out of my hibernation. And hopefully with this new year, you would see me posting on a more permanent basis. The keyword to that sentence is hopefully. x_x
And Happy Birthday to sleepless! Lyn!! It's already the 7th here, but I'm guessing, it's still the 6th over there.
After waiting for more than a month, my Japanese Twilight books finally arrived. I was thinking of getting in touch with YesAsia's customer service since they shipped my books out at the end of November and I was hoping for it to arrive in time to be my Christmas present to myself. I guess it's still a Christmas present though somewhat belated.
Anyway, love it! Love it! Love it! I'll still be scanning it high quality definitely, even though there are already scans floating around. At least now, I have something pretty to stare at even if I don't have my computer on. XD Also, I think I'm more motivated to do the Edward and Jacob shrine I have planned. Now, let's see how long my attention will last on that one. XD I need to work on my other sites and not just the fanlistings. *clenches fist* I can do this!!!
Lastly for now, I'm giving away a 5USD coupon on YesAsia so whoever wants it, just tell me. I got it from the Twilight collection I just bought from them and it's gonna expire on Feb 18, 2008. There's no minimum required amount to buy to be able to use it but since I'm not planning on buying anything from them soon, maybe someone from the flist would benefit from it.
OMG! I was editing my 2007 Book List when I realized that it's a new year already! So here I am again with my 2008 list, which I know will be hugely populated by romance novels by year's end. XD
001. Honey Moon (Susan Elizabeth Phillips) | Jan 04, 2008 | B
002. Welcome to Temptation (Jennifer Crusie) | Jan 08, 2008 | B+
003. Shadow Music (Julie Garwood) | Jan 13, 2008 | A-
004. The Smoke Thief (Shana Abe) | Jan 19, 2008 | B+
005. This Rake of Mine (Elizabeth Boyle) | Jan 25, 2008 | B
006. After the Abduction (Sabrina Jeffries) | Jan 31, 2008 | B+
007. Her Secret Fantasy (Gaelen Foley) | Feb 23, 2008 | B
008. Flirting with Danger (Suzanne Enoch) | Mar 28, 2008 | A+ | re-read
009. Don't Look Down (Suzanne Enoch) | Apr 05, 2008 | A- | re-read
010. Billionaires Prefer Blondes (Suzanne Enoch) | Apr 10, 2008 | A- | re-read
011. Twice the Temptation (Suzanne Enoch) | Apr 26, 2008 | B+ | re-read
012. Touch of Minx (Suzanne Enoch) | May 01, 2008 | A- | re-read
013. Dream Chaser (Sherrilyn Kenyon) | May 07, 2008 | A-
014. A Dangerous Lord (Sabrina Jeffries) | May 18, 2008 | B
015. Lover Enshrined (J.R. Ward) | Jun 02, 2008 | B+
016. Her Every Pleasure (Gaelen Foley) | Jun 19, 2008 | B
017. The Pirate Lord (Sabrina Jeffries) | Jun 29, 2008 | B+
018. The Warrior (Nicole Jordan) | Jul 09, 2008 | B+
019. To Bed A Beauty (Nicole Jordan) | Jul 25, 2008 | B
020. After the Kiss (Suzanne Enoch) | Jul 29, 2008 | B+
021. Breaking Dawn (Stephenie Meyer) | Aug 06, 2008 | B
022. Glory in Death (J.D. Robb) | Aug 11, 2008 | A-
023. Immortal in Death (J.D. Robb) | Aug 17, 2008 | B+
024. Acheron (Sherrilyn Kenyon) | Aug 27, 2008 | A
025. Before the Scandal (Suzanne Enoch) | Sep 05, 2008 | B
026. Desire (Nicole Jordan) | Sep 13, 2008 | B+
027. The Lost Duke of Wyndham (Julia Quinn) | Sep 26, 2008 | B-
028. A Great and Terrible Beauty (Libba Bray) | Oct 06, 2008 | B+
029. Rapture in Death (J.D. Robb) | Oct 07, 2008 | A-
030. Ceremony in Death (J.D. Robb) | Oct 09, 2008 | B
031. Vengeance in Death (J.D. Robb) | Oct 12, 2008 | A-
032. Holiday in Death (J.D. Robb) | Oct 15, 2008 | B+
033. Midnight in Death (Three in Death) (J.D. Robb) | Oct 17, 2008 | B+
034. Conspiracy in Death (J.D. Robb) | Oct 26, 2008 | B
035. Fantasy Lover (Sherrilyn Kenyon) | Oct 31, 2008 | B+ | re-read
036. Night Pleasures (Sherrilyn Kenyon) | Nov 16, 2008 | B+ | re-read
037. Night Embrace (Sherrilyn Kenyon) | Nov 25, 2008 | B+ | re-read
038. Dance with the Devil (Sherrilyn Kenyon) | Dec 02, 2008 | B+ | re-read
039. Kiss of the Night (Sherrilyn Kenyon) | Dec 13, 2008 | B+ | re-read
040. Night Play (Sherrilyn Kenyon) | Dec 20, 2008 | B+ | re-read
041. Seize the Night (Sherrilyn Kenyon) | Dec 27, 2008 | B+ | re-read